Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What I Will NOT Miss

Although I have immensely enjoyed my stay in the UK, there are a few things I will not think twice about leaving behind. They are:

outlets that you have to turn on
separate hot and cold taps
parking in the actual street where cars need to drive
MOT
having my vocabulary corrected
having a swipe card in a non swipe card economy
calling my credit card company whenever I travel, even if it's the distance from MD to NC
constantly doing math in my head to convert C to F or ounces & cups to grams, what IS the purpose of a "stone" anyway?
PE and Games kits x3
noisy especially when rainy street I live on
bayonet lightbulbs
breakers that trip and turn off all of the lights in the house when a single light bulb dies
driving an American car on the other side of the road
car issues in general
slow mail (US military not UK Royal Mail which is like lightning fast)
work paperwork
being a landlord
being a tenant
lack of conformity when walking down the sidewalk, oops 'pavement'
searching endlessly for groceries that I know MUST exist and lack of choice in some items
crap coffee
APPLIANCES!!!! farewell skinny damp fridge, separate freezer, six million dollar man washer and loud dryer. although you all work fine, I like mine better!
the insular feeling of the garden, not being able to mix and mingle across the lawn
the constant loop of Friends and Scrubs episodes
the unfavorable exchange rate and having to gamble regarding the exchange rate
Community Bank/Bank of America
the cold damp that's colder than just cold
foggy windows and wet or icy windows INSIDE the car
driving on ridiculously skinny hedgerow "roads"
cold beaches
queues

Upon my return, I am definitely not looking forward to:

traffic
American accents and how loud we are
outright rudeness vs the passive rudeness here
overwhelming choices
strip malls
cicadas & mosquitoes
giant plates of greasy food
finding my niche all over again

No comments: