Friday, June 18, 2010

Buscot Park = Heaven

If I was to be reborn into the British aristocracy, I would like to be part of the Faringdon legacy.
Yesterday, after getting my two new tires placed on the car and seeing my first ever other Honda Pilot at the base garage - sister solidarity - I went to Buscot Park which is a National Trust site. I feel like I got my entire National Trust yearly fee's worth in this property. For any of you ex-pats reading this, it is a right turn off the A417 if you continue through the towns of Fairford & Lechlade and so worth the extra 20-30 minute drive but it's only open WThF afternoons from 2-6 pm and then sporadic weekends in the summer. This place was awesome and had everything a tourist or garden freak would want. The grounds are amazing and the house is also spectacular. The Faringdons were/are huge art collectors so the house is chock full of phenomenal paintings, sculpture and ceramics. One note: wear appropriate and comfortable shoes; there's a lot of walking to be done.
Clock tower above the stables/entrance
The pool house through the hedges
Ahoy, matey!
English rosesI call this one "Lily and Dragonfly".
I love how they get things to creep up and across walls.Long pathway vistas
That silver shiny thing at the end of the path is a mirrored waterfall sculpture.
A most beautiful walk through what they called 'The Water Garden"
Sculptures throughout the property
This one is for Owen.
I loved this little guy and his twin across the water way. The one below has what I think is an ermine on top of his head. It reminded me of Lyra in The Golden Compass.
Hand's down, the BEST expression on a stone sculpture
More art:
Wishing well iron work

No comments: