As today was an American holiday, Craig had the day off and our wonderful children did not. So Craig and I left the house by 9 am to hightail it up to Worcester (home of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and Royal Worcester china, of course) to visit the Worcester Cathedral and have lunch. It was a great day.
It was also a weird day. I don't know if we were extra attuned to American stuff but here are some things we saw while in Worcester:
a guy in a bookshop wearing an Oklahoma University shirt
American flags at a pub which also had a placard with an American-themed menu from yesterday including hot dogs, sloppy joes and onion rings
said pub had chili on the menu (rarely see this) which I ordered and it was three-alarm chili, probably the spiciest British meal I have ever had (vindaloo curry doesn't count; it's technically not British)
said pub also had about a dozen old US license plates from PA in the late 50's, a few from the mid to late 70's and two from '89 & '96 mainly from Alabama, Michigan and Florida
a guy wearing an Indy 500 shirt
a guy at a petrol station wearing a USA shirt
and finally, while waiting at the light outside of Owen's school we saw a US Post mail box
Here are some photos of the cathedral. We opted to pay for an hour tour (3 GBP each) since we rarely take tours with kids in tow. Our guide was perfect for the job. He could have talked all day, but his voice was not cooperating so what could have been a three-hour tour with the Professor was shortened to a 1.5 hour tour (sigh of relief from Kris). I am reading Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and actually understood much of what he was saying and I got all of the historical references. I felt so smart especially since history is definitely not my forté. Reading really IS fundamental.


outer cloisters
the pulpit

the organ


I'm not sure if they are dumping this corpse into the river or roasting it over flames.
Apparently, one can 'twin' their toilet. Who knew? The toilet in Worcester Cathedral in Worcester, England is twinned with one in Giharo in Burundi, Africa.

It was also a weird day. I don't know if we were extra attuned to American stuff but here are some things we saw while in Worcester:
a guy in a bookshop wearing an Oklahoma University shirt
American flags at a pub which also had a placard with an American-themed menu from yesterday including hot dogs, sloppy joes and onion rings
said pub also had about a dozen old US license plates from PA in the late 50's, a few from the mid to late 70's and two from '89 & '96 mainly from Alabama, Michigan and Florida
a guy at a petrol station wearing a USA shirt
and finally, while waiting at the light outside of Owen's school we saw a US Post mail box
No comments:
Post a Comment