Friday, April 10, 2009

Off to See Madeira

We are headed to Madeira, an island which is officially part of Portugal, but it's actually more south of Portugal and across from ("west of" for all of you directional people) Morocco. We are all excited, especially Owen for some reason. He has really and truly been packed for a week.
I got this Madeira bug in my ear from none other than the local dry cleaner. In December, I took some things into his shop (no shirts for all of those who have experienced my laments about ironing) and we got to talking which is weird because in general, shop owners do not have the inclination to chit chat. However, he is from India or maybe Pakistan and so perhaps British chit chat rules do not apply and I am obviously not British and do enjoy the occasional chit chat. But I digress... and he told me I would not be able to pick up my things until early January. So I asked if he was going on holiday and he said yes. When I went to pick up the items, I asked how his holiday was and he couldn't stop raving about how beautiful the island was yadda yadda yadda and it went to my vacation file in my head. Now we are going because I just can't be upstaged by my dry cleaner! Totally joking there. Anyway, you'll have to wait until we return because we have decided to travel without a computer (the HORROR!) and rough it!
Adeus!
("Goodbye" in Portuguese which I have noticed is very close to Latin being the geek that I am and having taken Latin in high school and which literally means "to God" just like adios and adieu - okay time to breathe.)
Oh, and Happy Easter. We will be attending Easter services in Portuguese which could be a good thing or a bad thing. We shall see.
Geek out.

No comments: