Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cerne Abbas and a Giant Discovery

On our way home from Dorset, we detoured to Cerne Abbas.
The town itself was a quintessential English village and very lovely.
We had a scrummy lunch at The Royal Oak which played rocking 70's and 80's tunes.
Then we walked around the village and the Cerne Abbey
and popped into the church.
Then it was time to find what we had come to see.
The real reason for the detour was to see the Cerne Abbas Giant.
(Go to the Wikipedia link for more information and especially read the "Folklore" and "Publicity" sections.) Like the White Horse in Uffington, the Giant is a chalk hill figure.
Needless to say, it was an "exciting" detour.
I think he was excited to see us too.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I think we've eaten at the Royal Oak! Heh, heh ...

And you make me LOL. Love it.

Kris said...

Erin, what's scary is that I make myself LOL too.