Friday, February 4, 2011

The King's Speech

Our mobile phone provider, Orange, has a great deal on Wednesdays. For like 50 cents, you text the netherworld and get a code for a two-for-one cinema ticket. This Wednesday, my friend, Jane, and I went to see The King's Speech. It was totally great and I now believe all of the hype it has gotten. Never having been a fan of Colin Firth, I was wary. He was excellent however, I truly enjoyed Geoffrey Rush's performance and think he stole the show but I am biased, being a speech-language pathologist meself...

Today I am going to another king's speech. The King of ClanMcCarter, Craig, will be talking at St Edward Senior School's Lower Sixth Form Lecture Series. This is a bimonthly lecture that the 11th graders have to attend as part of their coursework. It's pretty interesting in that all sorts of professionals come in to discuss a wide range of topics, whatever they specialize in. Craig will be reliving the glory days of his (our?) youth in speaking about "The Gulf War of 1991 in Letters". We saved all of our war letters to one another and Craig has subsequently typed most of them out on the computer. For this speech, he has taken excerpts - hopefully no mushy stuff although Valentine's Day IS around the corner - and prepared a talk. I hope the kids enjoy it. I know I am looking forward to hearing it. I can't really believe it has been 20 years since all of that shenanigans went down...

I wonder if the Sr School gives out awards for best performance in a documentary? Craig has some stiff competition because I noticed that another American parent is coming in later in the year to talk about Rocket Science. Game on!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Ha! That is amazing. Did you video?? Would love to hear that speech.

Kris said...

No, I didn't video it. You all can talk about it over dinner in the near future.