Sunday, July 19, 2009

Edinburgh

Edinburgh (pronounced Edinburra in Scot speak) is an absolutely gorgeous city. We took the train and as soon as we arrived, a huge deluge of rain began. Of course, it was the one and only time we forgot all of our raincoats and umbrellas (we had left them at the kirk). So I bought two brollies just before exiting the station and we managed. The downpour did stop fairly soon and we had scattered showers throughout the day.

We walked the Royal Mile and saw lots of sites all the while making our way to Edinburgh Castle.






Upon arrival at the castle, this is what we saw:

And then this:

Needless to say, we were not truly impressed with the castle. We have definitely seen better. Geez, I sound like such a castle snob. Here are some shots from inside the castle.


When traveling to Edinburgh, I suggest walking in the large park in front of the castle and enjoy the gorgeous views such as these:

Also, definitely take in some of the art galleries.

At the end of our week, Vic, Wendy, Melina and I did a girls' shopping day, and guess what, it began to rain just as we arrived in Edinburgh. We were prepared though and the light drizzle didn't hamper us. We power shopped and got a lot of good snaps of the lower Royal Mile. The Palace at Holyroodhouse was very nice, but we were castled out and just stole some shots through the gates. This is the official residence of the Queen when she is in Edinburgh. We also saw Arthur's Seat which
is the main peak of the group of hills which form most of Holyrood Park, a remarkably wild piece of highland landscape in the centre of the city of Edinburgh and the Scottish Parliament building which is a really mod building and nothing like I expected.



Arthur's Seat




Holyrood Palace



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed Edinburough, Emma and I were there for a few days back in 2001 I think and loved it!