
A woman with whom Craig works had standing room only tickets to the 2011 National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony at the White House that she couldn't use so we snatched them up. I took Finn and Owen since we only had three and Evan would have been miserable standing in the cold when he could be planted in front of his computer inside a warm house. The trip down was uneventful. I love the D.C. Metro. I especially loved the man humming/singing and swaying to what I believe was a Gospel song with headphones on so that he was completely out of tune. I guess it's nice to be in your own little world and socially inept.
The lighting ceremony was a good experience. It was sort of boring at times and definitely a political PR opportunity for everyone involved.

Too much speechifying and not just by President Obama if you ask me and the boys. I was especially happy to see a Gloucestershire girl, Ellie Goulding, in the line-up of the entertainment except she wasn't that stellar live.
It was this Christmas tree's debut as the national tree. The previous tree which had been the national tree for like 30 years and stood 42 feet tall was blown down in February of this year. The present tree was planted in March of this year and stands 26 feet tall but will continue growing.
There has been a lot of controversy about not calling Christmas trees "Christmas" trees. Well, as you can clearly see, the tickets say the dreaded "C" word.

However, the Christian minister who prayed at (actually I think he "blessed") the event (which was sort of odd since it was a Government event with inherently religious overtones ~ borders blurred) DID NOT call the tree a Christmas tree. This was very surprising given it is generally a Christian uproar of taking Christ out of Christmas. He did get a rousing "AMEN" though.
I was surprised to read online that a variety of groups perform at The Ellipse every evening throughout the holiday season. To see who is singing or dancing this year, please visit this website:
http://www.nps.gov/whho/upload/2011_National_Christmas_Tree_Music_Program_Schedule.pdf
For some good gouge, please visit this website which is also where one may apply for free tickets next year in early November, I believe:
http://www.thenationaltree.org/
Apply for the Green section, which is the seated section. I would not recommend the Yellow section unless you are very desperate to go. If you are granted Yellow tickets, go early. It's really not worth the effort unless you are up front. You can't even see the Christmas tree. Neither can you hear nor see the big tv screens when you are 50 people deep. The tickets are distributed lottery-style so good luck!
Here are my three favorite verses of the classic tune:
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Much pleasure dost thou bring me!
For ev’ry year the Christmas tree,
Brings to us all both joy and glee.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Much pleasure dost thou bring me!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How lovely are thy branches!
Not only green when summer's here
But in the coldest time of year.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How lovely are thy branches!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Thy candles shine out brightly!
Each bough doth hold its tiny light,
That makes each toy to sparkle bright.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Thy candles shine out brightly!
I do love me a good Christmas song and tree.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment