So Evan and I traveled up to Boston again. This time it was to drop him off at uberNerd computer camp at MIT for two whole weeks! Before check in, we went over to my hotel, dropped the bags and headed out to Northeastern University for a looksee. The campus was nice. I am just not sure it is what Evan is looking for. After our walk through, we met our niece/cousin, Emily, who studies at BU. We had lunch at a sushi place although none of us actually had sushi. It was about time for Evan to check in so we parted ways.
After maneuvering around all of the Japanese tourist buses (seriously - BUSLOADS), we arrived at Evan's dorm. Evan's camp seemed pretty cool and was very organized at check in. He got a big room for three people but he's only sharing with one other guy. The rooms are not air conditioned which might be rough, but he and his roommate both brought fans. They have a Charles River view. Plush!
As I walked back to my hotel room, I will admit I was a little sad. Well, a lot sad. Next year will be the real deal.
So I get back to my hotel and they had upgraded me to a two room suite, complete with kitchen, fireplace and jacuzzi tub. I sort of schmoozed with the receptionist at our bag drop off and she gave us some info on Northeastern (she goes there) and I guess she wanted to help sway at least my decision. I was grateful for her effort. The room was fab as was the hotel overall. It was a renovation of an old firehouse and had great artwork as well.
After a great night's sleep and a great breakfast, I headed out to explore some of Boston as my flight was not until later that evening. I decided to go to Harvard Square and then to walk through Harvard University just to see what it was like. After maneuvering around all of the homeless people and people living on the fringe (I think they were having a convention in and around the Square), I headed over to the Christ Church Cambridge and The Old Burying Ground which dates back to 1635. It was of course locked probably because of the nearby gatherers.
After maneuvering around all of the Japanese tourist buses (seriously - BUSLOADS), I decided that Harvard is designed to look big and I guess the word is intimidating, maybe. Everything is built on a very grand scale. I can see why people who go to Harvard want to go there.
Litruhlee Ivy League
Memorial Hall
Summer camp kids were eating in here as their refectory although it looked like a church.
The Harvard Museum of Natural History
I didn't visit but want to one day.
Many animals are shown in the brickwork along the upper facade of the building. Like the bricks were shaped to make the animals. Incredible if you ask me.
Anyway, I had a great walk through the campus and then an adjoining historic neighborhood on Garfield Street which is where I would choose to live.
Then I decided to walk part of the Freedom Trail.
My chosen route started in the North End and
It was neat to see such an old house and it reminded me of Oliver Cromwell's house in Ely, England.
The North End is inhabited by many Italian restaurants and quite a few almost lured me in, but I wanted to press on and see a few more things before I ate. I headed over to St. Stephen's Church where Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy was baptized on the same day as I was there only 122 years ago & born 122 years plus one day ago.
Then I walked through Paul Revere Square and listened to a ranger's talk near the Paul Revere statue.
It was a nice park and had a moving tribute to those who have died in Afghanistan.
I headed to the old North Church where
and then the Copp's Burying Ground where the gravestones were awesomely similar to those we have seen in the UK, especially Scotland.
After that, I was hungry and went to a pizzeria for lunch.
Whilst eating, I received a text that my flight was delayed by an hour - I later heard there was bad weather out of St. Louis. So I took my time getting back to the hotel and then to the airport.
The Zakim Bridge
very cool, follow this link
There were tons of people grousing about delayed flights and missed connections. I was grateful my flight was direct and that it was actually leaving albeit delayed.
Maryland was very sultry upon my return. Evan should be happy he is sleeping in Boston with no A/C near a breezy river.
No comments:
Post a Comment