Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Arsenal v. Barcelona

Craig works with a Brit named Harry whose family owns season tickets for Arsenal Football Club. They've become good friends and Harry got Craig a ticket for the Champions League match this evening. I am jealous beyond belief but very happy that Craig is getting to check something off his bucket list; he's been a Gunners fan for about eight years, I think.
Thankfully, the match is on the telly this evening so I am sat on the sofa, not moving. As the match began, all of the fans were waving red and white flags.
You all know who is getting THAT flag! ;-)
So far, Arsenal is having a strong start, Lionel Messi (who is magical) missed an easy goal and I painted my fingernails right before the game so I wouldn't chew them off!
Two hours later...
I had to get off of the laptop in fear that I would drop it while shouting at the TV screen. David Villa scored for Barcelona at the 26 minute mark. It was an agonizing, nerve-wracking and stressful game with Barcelona running triangles around the Gunners at times and tense missed shots from both teams until Robin van Persie (gorgeous AND skillful) scored for Arsenal at 78 minutes and then five minutes later, Andrey Arshavin scored again for the Gunners! Woo hoo!
Arsenal wins with the crowd simply triumphant! Even Arsene Wenger smiled.
I can't wait to talk to Craig tomorrow morning. He is taking the coach home from London and won't arrive until 2:30 AM. Lucky for him, he can sleep pretty much anywhere. That's a Marine for you.

No comments: