"Went to watch a World Cup opening match between England & the USA today at a pub in Cheltenham. It was full of about 300 very passionate England fans and me. I kept a low profile with some colleagues from work. English fans are renowned for being unruly and not mixing well with opposing fans. During the pregame show while talking about the US team, the song I'm So Bored of the USA by The Clash was playing in the background. It was a message received loud and clear. After that, I kept thinking of the song I Predict a Riot by the Kaiser Chiefs for what would happen if I cheered too much and if the US managed to win.
The pub was more like an American style bar and was called Après because it's styled after a Nordic après-ski lounge with lots of blond wood and red leather. Apparently in addition to a projection TV, it sells eight pint pitchers at minimal cost. Could have done with a good English pint, but had a few Becks with the gang. Funny how many Brits actually like lager. Most of it tastes like Bud, but you will rarely find a Brit who will say anything complimentary about American beer.
As the match got ready to start I witnessed a rare event - Brits singing God Save the Queen - just don't hear it very often. I think the lyrics are humorous with an American ear. They're all about the Queen and her prosperity and health and really nothing about Britain or its people. Compare that with O Canada being all about the land being glorious and free, or The Star-Spangled Banner being wrapped up in the simple "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave"!
Anyway, I stood quietly and respectful as the screen showed the English mouthing the words. Then it was the USA's turn. Instead of quiet and respectful, just about every Brit booed and jeered at the US anthem. Another sign to stay low key (musical joke...). The US team alternated between singing and standing quietly. It would be interesting to hear their reasoning for either approach. I figured the standing quietly guys were saving their energy or staying focused or just drinking it all in. Nothing like representing your country and hearing your anthem.
I had been talking a lot of crap all week at work and in the pregame 1 1/2 hours I was there keeping it unemotional for the most part. I was solidly predicting a 2-1 US victory thinking David James aka "Calamity James" was going to play as keeper. Well, they showed the England line up and to my horror, Fabio Capello decided to start Robert Green instead of James! Not good for the USA's chances as Green is a great shot stopper. My keeper banter looked to worry a lot of people. They didn't seem too confident in Green either as most seemed to favor the third keeper, Joe Hart.
The match got off to an absolutely horrible start. 1-0 England in less than three minutes. Ugh! Still can't believe it.
After that, the USA started playing better and putting on some pressure. At 34' Clint Dempsey took a hopeful shot from outside the area direct on goal. It bounced twice and didn't look too dangerous. Green went to one knee and reached down. Inexplicably, the second bounce seemed to spin just a little to his right, but his right thumb and slowly trickled off toward the goal. He turned quickly and lunged at the ball but it was too late. The ball rolled over the line; the USA was tied 1-1 and my prediction of the England keeper gifting a goal was spot on!
I immediately used the dead silence in the bar to break out one chorus of "USA!! USA!!" before wisely letting it trail off before too many hooligans could triangulate the source. My mate, James, quickly took one full step away from me and later admitted he expected a bottle or two to enter my airspace. Riot time?
The rest of the match was tense with neither team having a clear advantage. Near the end, Altidore got a clear shot off and I thought all of my predictions were set to come true! But it was not to be.
The match ended 1-1. I survived and had to think about getting home. I don't think draws make people as violent. People are mad if they lose or cocky if they win but the disappointment of a draw seems to sap their energy and emotion. Football is probably some sinister plot by the Queen to control the masses.
To my surprise it was still bright outside (or nearly bright) at 2130 being so close to the Summer Solstice. James offered to give me a ride home to prevent me from walking through the center of town as planned. I noticed him drinking Cokes since the half and gratefully accepted. Along the way we passed a group of 20 or so youths and were glad I didn't have to find out if I was lucky or fast!"
1 comment:
Liked reading from the viewpoint of one who braved the English fans! I was surprised to hear they booed when the national anthem was played, but I've since decided that must be a rebellion against the fact that they have to sing God Save the Queen. I mean, wow. Bummer for them. Patrick noticed in London a few seasons ago that they sang Swing Low, Sweet Chariot rather than God Save the Queen. How embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for them. And still VERY proud to be an American.
Post a Comment