Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The FIFA World Cup

For the next month or so, the FIFA World Cup is taking place in South Africa. (Click on the highlighted link above to see the Wikipedia article - very informative.) Before moving here, I was a football fan but in no way a die-hard fan. I can honestly say that my level of interest in football has increased dramatically and my interest level is not based on the fact that football players are quite fit and easy on the eyes, but it's definitely a plus. Needless to say, it is great to have football on the telly twice a day during the semi-finals. I actually plan my day and my lunch around when the match will be on the telly. Craig and I have both decided to support the Americas - North, Central or South - to victory. Craig, with the law of averages and past precedence, thinks Brazil will win it. I really want the USA to make a strong presence.

Today's noontime match is Honduras v. Chile. I am not sure who I am pulling for because they are BOTH Americas teams (Central and South). I think I am swaying towards Chile just 'cuz they have an excellent name for a country. The teams are playing in Nelspruit in northeast South Africa. Here is a photo of Mbombela Stadium.
The zebra-striped seats are awesome.

The commentators today are a Brit and a Scot. I have no idea what the Scot is saying but his accent is incredible at least what I can hear of it over those stupid horns that are constantly blowing. I can't imagine being at the game and am really glad not to be because I think I would feel the need to harm someone or something after hearing that noise for two hours straight.

Friends are also watching and here are some things that we all have heard the BBC presenters say in these matches or others which makes me snicker a bit just because they are totally Brit lingo:

restored to health
lovely touch
cracking shot or a cracker that was
a bit sticky
really snatched at it
boredom that was
a bit dodgy
a light hand on the till
and the ubiquitous
"Well DONE!"

Just now, Chile scored! GOOOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL!
Looked like an own goal to me though.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I have heard them say, "scamper over the line." Scamper? Really?