Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Independent Youngest Brother

Owen has always been trying to "keep up" with his older brothers from day one. Today, I was a bit nervous to agree to his trip to the Bath Rd. shops to get eggs so that I can make banana bread. For readers back home, the distance is about as far or a little further as my house to the Giant without cutting through the woods. He has never gone alone - always with Finn or a friend - and never biked there alone. I wasn't afraid he'd lose his way or anything; he has a great sense of direction and he's been there a ton of times. I was just nervous as a Mom will be.

Well, he calls me when he arrived to say that he was going to "check the price of eggs" at the Corner Shop (which is an everything store, but mainly sells toys and candy - boy heaven) and the Co-op (a small grocery store). It turns out that a half-dozen eggs at the Corner Shop cost one pound while they cost one pound fifty at the Co-op AND they are local AND like that-day fresh AND you get to choose each egg you want. As Owen noted, "They still have feathers on them."

So, my baby is a-growin' and I need to let go...

No comments: