Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hoovering With a Dyson and a Bus Ride

I can't remember if I have ever talked about this, but I vacuumed today and I made myself chuckle inside my head. The Brits say "hoovering" for vacuuming even when their vacuum is not a Hoover. I assume this stems back to when this country had one choice of a vacuum to purchase since Hoovers were pretty much the vacuum of choice in the olden times. My vacuum is a Dyson and I was thinking about how Dysons are all the rage both here and in the US and that the term should be changed to "dysoning".

On another completely unrelated note, I rode the bus home yesterday morning after walking Owen to tennis lessons and shopping on the High St. The driver quoted my fare of one pound thirty and I gave him a two pound coin. He didn't have enough change and apologized and gave me a bus fare ticket credit to use when I ride another time which was fine with me. But what I find funny is the reason he didn't have change. This, of course, needs an explanation.

I was riding the Leckhampton bus route which caters to a large number of Old Age Pensioners (OAPs). When one turns 60 years of age, OAPs are eligible for a bus pass which allows free local bus transit. So, even though it was noon, the driver had 60 pence in the till because everyone and I mean EVERYONE on the bus with me at that moment was over 60 years old and no one had had to pay probably for the entire morning! It was me and the grannies. The other funny thing is that I had my granny trolley with me but none of the grannies had a granny trolley with them. The only other granny trolley was owned by a man - a trolley pop?

No comments: