I am taking a break from my starring role as "Kristen, The Domestic Goddess" in the off-off Broadway play entitled The Domestic Goddess which is my life story at this particular moment in time. I am typing (obviously) while listening to The English Beat's CD I Just Can't Stop It which isn't as good as Special Beat Service but it was the choice of the moment and it's sort of appropriately titled for the morning and one of the songs on the CD is Mirror in the Bathroom. How apt!
It is 11:30AM and so far I have done the following:
ate breakfast
emulsified a toilet
cleaned a bathroom sink area and mirror
vacuumed all of the common areas of the house including four flights of stairs
vacuumed my bedroom
dusted my bedroom
collected and sorted laundry
put two loads into the washer/dryer
getting ready to fold one
collected and emptied every rubbish bin from every room
wrote a to-do list for Craig (yes, he should be worried)
made two important phone calls
emptied and reloaded the dishwasher
Phew!
I need to make a few more phone calls, dust three more rooms, iron shirts and finish the laundry.
Where is that understudy when I need her???
As I was gathering Evan's laundry, I noticed this on his desk:
It is one of the kids' (and my) favorite books from a ways back. Here is a photo of our favorite pages:
The text reads:
'On the fresh new snow in the meadow, we
would lie down and make prints with our
bodies. I remember saying, "Hush, Max,
be still." And for a moment or two we lay
there listening to the silence.'
The text reads:
'We piled one on top of another
and sculpted snow ears. Our mama gave
us her old pink scarf to tie around the
snow rabbit's neck. She laughed.
"I think it looks like Grandpa."
Max insisted that we leave a carrot
for our snow rabbit in case he got
hungry during the night.
When we came back to visit the next day,
there were nibble marks on the carrot.
This is true.'
I am completely anal and have all of my kids' book grouped by theme and/or author and no, I will never get rid of them. Never. Anyway, every season or holiday I pull out the little kids' books and scatter them in the television room hoping that the kids will look at them, read them and remember times past. Now I have proof that Evan does read them, albeit in secret. I just love that he is still a little kid in a big kid's body and is as nostalgic as I am even if he doesn't see it that way. I'm making myself a little weepy.
And the best news ever... Evan go an A* on his recent Maths GCSE. Such a shmah-tie pants!
It is 11:30AM and so far I have done the following:
ate breakfast
emulsified a toilet
cleaned a bathroom sink area and mirror
vacuumed all of the common areas of the house including four flights of stairs
vacuumed my bedroom
dusted my bedroom
collected and sorted laundry
put two loads into the washer/dryer
getting ready to fold one
collected and emptied every rubbish bin from every room
wrote a to-do list for Craig (yes, he should be worried)
made two important phone calls
emptied and reloaded the dishwasher
Phew!
I need to make a few more phone calls, dust three more rooms, iron shirts and finish the laundry.
Where is that understudy when I need her???
As I was gathering Evan's laundry, I noticed this on his desk:
'On the fresh new snow in the meadow, we
would lie down and make prints with our
bodies. I remember saying, "Hush, Max,
be still." And for a moment or two we lay
there listening to the silence.'
'We piled one on top of another
and sculpted snow ears. Our mama gave
us her old pink scarf to tie around the
snow rabbit's neck. She laughed.
"I think it looks like Grandpa."
Max insisted that we leave a carrot
for our snow rabbit in case he got
hungry during the night.
When we came back to visit the next day,
there were nibble marks on the carrot.
This is true.'
I am completely anal and have all of my kids' book grouped by theme and/or author and no, I will never get rid of them. Never. Anyway, every season or holiday I pull out the little kids' books and scatter them in the television room hoping that the kids will look at them, read them and remember times past. Now I have proof that Evan does read them, albeit in secret. I just love that he is still a little kid in a big kid's body and is as nostalgic as I am even if he doesn't see it that way. I'm making myself a little weepy.
3 comments:
That's a great blog.
Great post, Kris. And wow - you ARE the domestic goddess. It is 11:05 here and I've just now eaten my breakfast. No laundry, no cleaning, just taken one kid to the doctors' for strep, then Walgreen's for the meds. Now reading your lovely blog and enjoying hearing about your day. Congrats to Evan, too! Well done.
Laughed out loud about Craig's "honey do"! Our day sounds eerily similar save the important phone calls and the fact that I have so far, managed to avoid the bathrooms. Also..I didn't make any "sweet" discoveries in my kids' rooms unless you count candy wrappers and other evidence of smuggled sugar contraband!
Post a Comment