Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Happy 1-1-11!

I know I am 11 days late on this, but I am trying to stay chronological.
Q: Where were you on New Year's Day 2011?
A: In Egypt on the Nile!

In true McCarter fashion, we did not ring in the New Year at midnight besides it wasn't New Year in the US until 7AM this morning. Craig was down for the count with a severe cold. He slept a lot of the day which was well-timed as we were sailing back up to the Esna lock and no excursions were planned. Going through the lock was far less busy than the first time, but it took just as long.
Open sesame
While we were waiting, the tablecloth and galabeya squad was out in full force and greeted the guests by chucking things across the gap. There was a big changeover of passengers on Thursday at Aswan and the newbies thought it was cool. However, I didn't think it was as cool as the guys we had throwing stuff up from boats. I had become jaded. The new passengers were predominantly American and I can honestly say they flat out annoyed me: their nasal voices, their volume, their know-it-all-ness and one cheerleader type was publicly so rude to a staff member in a sugar-coated voice that it was embarrassing. Seriously.
Earlier before the hullabaloo, I was reading on the bow and no one else was there. It was so nice to be on a ship that had 200 people within itself. The wind was blowing gently. I could hear voices occasionally from the bank. I heard a call to prayer from a passing mosque tower. It was just heavenly and one of those moments when I really cherish my good fortune. My New Year's resolution is to become more tolerant and take deep breaths.
Happy New Year.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love the lock pictures. Hate annoying Americans on your behalf. That's just embarrassing. They don't seem as annoying to me now that I'm back here. I hope I'm not one of them. Ewww.

Kris said...

They weren't Maryland Americans which explains a lot. And American friends aren't annoying so you aren't forced to be around the ones you wouldn't choose to be with. I think that's what it was - we couldn't escape them.