Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fancy a Cuppa?

Over the past few years, tradesmen have had to visit the house for a variety of reasons, mainly plumbing or boiler repairs and service checks. When they visit, it is customary to ask them if they would like a cup of tea. I have never had anyone decline this offer. So I go to the kitchen, fill my electric cordless kettle (I know, it sounds contradictory) and flick the switch. In less than a minute, I have hot water. I throw a teabag in a mug (we use Tetley but PG Tips are also often spied in my tea tin) and go back to ask how many sugars which is usually answered with "One" or "Two" and if they want a "splash" of milk. I buy sugar cubes here instead of loose sugar because it's a consistent measurement of "One" or "Two". Then I make the tea and bring the mug and sometimes a digestive biscuit (like a graham cracker cookie) if I have them but a lot of times I do not have digestives because they are addictive beyond belief, especially the chocolate hob-nobs! Often, I get a "Cheers" as thanks and if the tradesman is of a certain age, I get a "Cheers, Luv".

A few days ago, a plumber was here. He had been here before and the first time he opted for coffee. It was early in the morning and I had some brewed coffee in my thermal pot, but not enough for a full mug, so I brewed some more. I tend to make a strong brew and when I brought him the mug and he took a sip, his eyebrows shot up in appreciation because it was a real cuppa, not the lame instant coffee (usually Nescafe) that permeates Britain. Upon his second visit about four months later, I asked if he would like anything and he said, "I would greatly appreciate a cup of American coffee." I joked about him remembering that he had coffee here and he said he was glad to see that I was on his work orders that day because he enjoys a good cup of coffee.

This got me to thinking how nice this custom is and how sharing a cuppa can be such a pleasant experience even with people you might never see again.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Love it. I have already gotten out of the habit here ... no one expects you to offer, and when you do, well, it can be awkward. Which is sad. I do miss that bit of civilization. And being called *luv.*