Thursday, April 26, 2012

Side by Side Concert

So tonight the sixth grade band (Owen) and orchestra had the pleasure to play alongside the fifth grade bands of the three elementary schools which feed into the middle school. I always felt that the purpose of this showcase of talent was to prove to the fifth grade parents that things really do get better once your child receives every other day music instruction versus once a week instruction.

Parents of fifth graders who might be reading this, please don't take this personally, but the fifth grade was bad. The fifth grade band was extremely bad and thankfully the orchestra only played one song instead of two.

The sixth grade was definitely good.

Here is the string of texts I sent to Craig during the performance because I can be a rude American now:

O joy
I think this is the most painful part. (speaking of the strings which were actually better than the winds)
So many bad violins
Zoinks!

And Craig's response:
I miss St. Eds!

The fifth grade music teachers have the patience of a saint.

I do want to note that parents everywhere of both fifth and sixth graders were taking video and pictures left and right. When we were at St. Eds, only the North American parents did that and we stood out a bit. Did Craig or I even remember a camera? No.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I miss St. Ed's too and, I too remember being half-way through a performance at the pump room before I realized I was one of the only ones with a camera.