Saturday, January 14, 2012

Guest Blogger

Craig's Uncle Art's wife, Julia Cox McCarter, died this week and he attended her funeral yesterday afternoon in Pennsylvania. This is a copy of the email he sent to his family and is posted with his permission. I want Craig to write my eulogy.

Dear Family,

Yesterday I attended the memorial service for Julia Cox McCarter. It was a cold day with a biting wind. Soon after crossing the border into Pennsylvania there was a dusting of snow on the ground in places. The 2nd Presbyterian Church in Carlisle was warm and inviting.

I had time to hang up my overcoat before everyone was asked to take seats. I'm not so sure about protocol at funerals and didn't see any of the McCarters when I went into the sanctuary, so I wasn't quite sure where to sit. Luckily everyone was filling in from the back forward, so there were plenty of seats up front! I took a seat near the front in an empty row and the family began filing in. Uncle Art looked over and recognized me. He waved me over and after a handshake told me to sit behind him. The McCarter girls were running a little late, but made it just in time with all four girls (Pat, Jo, Ann, and Jane) with Bob and about 6-7 grand kids (Paul, Andy/Corrine, Phoebe, Joanna, Tim, and Ben).

The service was very special due to Julia's son, Michael. He gave the most fantastic eulogy of his mother. You could tell they loved each other very much and had a wonderful relationship. Julia gave Michael strict instructions about what to say and not to cry. He did a fantastic job and it was very moving. I sincerely hope everyone will treat Michael as a member of the McCarter family and he spoke a bit about this. His mother loved Art and everyone spoke about how she lit up when he walked into the room. Michael joked that when he drove 4 hours from NYC to be with his mother in the hospital that her first question was always, "Where's Art?!?"

After the service there were refreshments in Fellowship Hall and a long receiving line to pay respects to Michael and Art. It was nice to visit with the McCarters. The Engleharts (Lois's brother/wife) were there and Peg's Mother and Sister. Peg's mother looks fantastic for 90! After the reception we all went back to Julia/Art's house for just family time. It was so nice to get Art telling stories for the benefit of the grand kids and to have a chance to talk with Ann, Jane, Jo, Pat, Bob, well everyone! Sue Hardy was also there, but couldn't stay for long.

After an hour or two Michael needed to head back to NYC. He sort of got in the middle of the gathering (in the kitchen of course) and asked for everyone's attention. It got quiet right away and even though it seems like a small thing Michael was visibly impressed at how quiet and polite this family is. He wanted our attention to just let everyone know that not only did Julia love Art, but she truly loved the whole McCarter family. Looking around the room at three generations of truly nice people, I have to admit that I understand what he meant.

We concluded the evening, well my part anyway, with sincere requests that the Maryland McCarters join everyone at Brigantine the week of 28 July and start meeting the Robinson's at their cabin on the Chesapeake this year. We will definitely have to do our best to catch up. We all also mostly agree that the bonfire at the farm Christmas 2007 was maybe the best bonfire ever and we'll have to engineer a repeat performance.

All in all it was a nice gathering of the family and I'm very glad I was able to attend. I'm very glad to have had a chance to speak with Andy. He's doing well in the Army and enjoying his field of Satellite Communications. Paul is looking for a job in his field of Criminal Justice and wants to be a prison counselor. Phoebe and Tim are living and working in Philly where their brother Ben just passed the bar. Joana is a sophomore at Sheppard University. Anne's kids are migrating to Colorado. Pat's kids are in Athens starting families and SF dancing/yoga/pilates. Everyone is doing well. Art looks pretty good for an old duffer. Despite some shaking from Parkinson's it still seems to be well under control and he's very lucid. I got him to sing "Strip Polka" and everyone seemed to have a story about Gran McCarter and a switch and her amazing ability to find one at a moments notice when she wanted to apply one to a miscreant's bare legs!

On a separate note of ClanMcCarter news...Owen has been chosen to play clarinet with the 7th and 8th graders and is very excited for a trip to Hershey Park for a performance...Evan has applied for a High School Work Study at the National Security Agency for next school year and just received a Conditional Job Offer. Wow! He's really growing up!...Finn is having a great year all around!

I hope you are all well and have a great long weekend!

Love,
Craig



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: