Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pestilence

I have been meaning to blog about this issue for a while now. We have these infamous lodgers in our house. We call them cave crickets or spider crickets or "sprickets" for short. They are freaky and not nice. Firstly, they are pretty much huge and spider-like. Secondly, they hop erratically and usually at me. Thirdly, they sneak out at night and fourthly, they feed on one another! This last tidbit of information is most definitely true.





We have had them in our basement for pretty much as long as I can remember. Most of our neighbors have them too. They are just creepy but at least they are not roaches like we had in Louisiana ~ that's a whole 'nother story. For years, their numbers were few because our odd and wonderful cat loved to play with them until they perished. Owen used to have a set of fire-bellied toads before we moved and they would nosh on the smaller ones. After three years without predators, their population has increased, not dramatically but noticeably. Well, a couple of mornings ago, I spied and subsequently eradicated an adventurous intruder in the kitchen. That was the last straw!

I promptly headed to WalMart because that seemed the best place to go for pest control and I bought some glue traps because someone had recommended them (sorry, I can't remember who it was). Can I just say that they work amazingly? The sprickets love whatever is glued onto that flimsy piece of cardboard and I am happy that they do. At this rate





Day One
I won't be housing any more unwanted guests.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Erin said...

We have had these nasties more than usual this year, too. For some reason they like the showers and bathtubs in particular. Gross. They are nasty, and I feel like my cat is not earning her keep because she ignores them. Glad you've found a solution.

Blythe Owen Hunt said...

That is disgusting. You need to move to Colorado. In the four months we have lived in our 80-year old house, I have found ONE bug--a spider in the basement.