sigh (of dismay)
Anyway, we've been having issues with lights not working inside the car for a while now so Craig thought maybe it was a fuse issue after reading the owner's manual. He proceeded to pull out and inspect every fuse. Nothing. So then I notice a RAC (Royal Automobile Club) van, a breakdown service, in the car park. Craig goes over and asks him if he can help while the rest of us prepare to sit in the rest area restaurant. At least we weren't stranded on the side of the road and we were comfortable. Meanwhile the RAC guy is looking into the engine of another vehicle and repairing it. Craig said there was an octopus of wires coming out of the engine and the guy said he'd come over when he was done and that he thought he "might have to do some soldering here". So about 45 minutes later, the RAC guy comes over and jump starts the battery and it worked! He didn't even charge us or have us sign up for coverage which I guess you're supposed to do. And so, we are on our way.
sigh (of relief)
As soon as get onto the motorway, trucks behind me start flashing their lights at me and I am getting a "something is not right" feeling. It turns out we have no rear running lights, the headlights and signals are working and the brake lights work, but I have no rear lights. Definitely a fuse issue. I use the hazard lights for the rest of the drive home.
sigh (of anxiety)
The next day I call the Honda dealer in Gloucester because the Cheltenham dealer is booked and they can get us in for the next day. Craig and I take the car in that afternoon for the next day appointment and explain our dilemma about the inside lights not working, the running lights not working, the turn signals being very faint and the battery dying quicker than should ever be expected. And oh, we need to also explain that they don't need to fix the reverse lights that are non-existent because the first guy that Briticized our car had to swap fuses to install the stupid side indicator lights and fog lights that are required to pass UK inspection but reverse lights are apparently optional. What?!?! As an aside, I have used my fog lights a total of ONE time in THREE years. I have probably put my car in reverse at least 1000 times more than that.
sigh (of annoyance)
I get a call that afternoon because they "had time" to look at the car. I chuckle at this because I know (and confirmed with the service guy) that the mechanics were dying to check out the car. I can pretty much guarantee that they've never seen a Pilot in Britain as they are not manufactured or sold in Europe, much to my chagrin.
sigh (que sera)
Anyway, they fix almost everything and we get a new battery a couple of days later because they didn't have a battery that would fit in stock. I say almost everything because the rear turn signals must be yellow bulbs and now they are in the light socket that used to be my white reverse lights. Well, the dealer has to order special bulbs from Belgium to fit the socket and they are not guaranteed to be yellow but will most likely be white and oh, they cost six pounds fifty per bulb ($10.75). So I say no and plan on asking the first guy who Briticized my car if he can get a bulb. By the way, the bulb looks like an old timey Christmas tree light, really. I get on the road and assume that the passenger's side bulb is burnt out in the rear because my turn signal is clicking really fast. At least the front one works and I think I am just going to ignore the whole issue for now except that UK drivers do actually beep at you if you do not use your indicator.
sigh (of defeat)
I named my car "Bulls-eye" after Woody's horse in Toy Story because it rides like the wind and it's brownish. But now I think it's time to give my car a new name. I am thinking "Cinderella" because before getting the lights fixed, we couldn't keep her out past dark. And no, "Lemon" is not an option; Cinderella's just going through a seven year itch is all. I'm keeping this baby for at least seven more years if I can help it. I love my beeg American automobile but I probably shouldn't have brought it to England.
sigh (of regret)
No comments:
Post a Comment