Thursday, March 10, 2011

Afternoons and Coffeespoons

This is the name of a great song by the Crash Test Dummies which tells the story of a man who's in the hospital for tests and how he contemplates that in his old age, he hopes to measure time by the number of afternoons and coffee spoons. I was going to listen to it as I type, but funnily enough, I think the CD is in the car (Get it? Crash test dummies are in the car?!?!). Here is a video clip of the song on David Letterman (geez, I miss Letterman) from the mid-90's:



Anyway, my Dad's been in the hospital for double pneumonia this week and I've been thinking about him, obviously. (He's doing better, by the way. :-) Which led me to think about how we spend our Sunday afternoons here.

Craig and I have been making a weekly pilgrimage to a favoUrite pub within walking distance on Sunday afternoons. We go for about an hour and a half, have a pint and a half, talk to one another or read, split a bag of salt and vinegar crisps and walk home with perhaps a stop at the local Co-op (small grocery store) to get something for dinner. It's a good way to connect and the kids are old enough not to need us. Finn and Owen have been coming with us as far as the Bath Rd - our mini High St - where we part for them to do a bit of shopping with their pocket money (last week they bought citrus fruit to juice in our juicer - yes, really) and then they head home together afterward.

Craig and I have been enjoying this "date" and have decided to make it a permanent weekly occurrence for the next few months. So if you are interested, meet us at two at the Jolly Brew. It's on Painswick Rd. Maybe email me too so we can make sure we get the right size table.
We will raise a pint to you, Dad, and your speedy recovery. I couldn't think of a better way. I just wish you'd come over in person before we call it quits with England! (Hint, hint!)

No comments: