Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Blast from the Past

So on Tuesday after visiting with the olde ladies at the craft morning where I purchased some tomato chutney and a hand knitted cardigan, I went to lunch with a couple of friends. As we were walking to the cafe, we passed a barbershop and in the window was an old child's ride on toy, like from WWII old. It is a metal carnival horse with a small cart and somehow a child would push two pedals which then makes the whole thing go. Now it just so happens that I own a rocking horse pretty much exactly like the one in the window and I stopped my friends to show them. At the EXACT same moment, and I am not joking, a woman my mother's age points to the toy and says to her husband, "I used to have a toy exactly like that when I was young." We looked at one another and were just gobsmacked. How uncanny is that? We then got to talking and it turns out she grew up in Wales and was born the same year as my Mom, during WWII. She then went inside the shop and looked at the horse to see where it was made. It is made in England. My maternal grandfather was stationed in England and France during WWII as a Colonel in the US Army. I am assuming this toy was passed down to us kids from my Mom, but I need to email her and ask. Or Mom, if you are reading this, please make a comment so we can get the rest of the story. Or email me and I will finish the story because the woman wants me to call her if I get any more information.

I know this isn't the best photo, but you can still make out the horse and the red cart behind it.

No comments: