Monday, March 23, 2009

Driving

I have decided that driving in England is like living a loop of one of those movies you see in driver's ed. Today, as I came through the six-way intersection from St. Ed's Junior School, I experienced the following road hazards within a two-minute time frame, no lie.
  • a woman pedestrian wandering into the road on my left
  • a car swerving into my lane on my right to avoid a cyclist on his left
  • a car pulling out of the gas station, trying to cross in front of me
  • a man getting out of his car, opening the door into my lane
Cars are parked in the street everywhere so you need to look out for side mirrors. Doors open all the time into your lane. We have decided that the center line in the road is optional. One good thing is that at least people know to look out for cars because pedestrians do not have the right of way. And rule #1 is to ALWAYS use your signal when turning or the driver behind you will honk. All of that said, I actually enjoy driving here. Go figure.

No comments: