Monday, October 6, 2008

Get Ready to Laugh!

I believe no day should start without coffee.
However, this morning, mine did and here is what happened:

1. Finn has "bike safety" this week so Craig had to ride into school with Finn on their bikes. Owen pitched a fit because of course he wanted to go too. The roads are way too busy in the morning though and Craig and I said no which led to an even worse fit. Craig leaves me with fit-stricken Owen who wanders into the garage to have a sulk.

2. Owen finally gets into the car which I had to pack with: two backpacks, two PE bags full of PE stuff for the week (they change for gym and have a separate uniform for 'Games' i.e., rugby, soccer and 'PE' i.e., swimming, gymnastics, etc. including separate 'boot bags' with cleats and running shoes, shin and mouth guards, glasses cases, etc.) and Finn's guitar because he has lessons on Mondays.

3. The car won't start. I hate this car! We bought it from a family who was leaving so we would have a junker get-around-town car which is exactly what it is and it really was a great deal and came in quite handy, but it has done this twice now when is it wet outside, and people, we live in England, it's wet outside a lot here. It's a 1994 Honda Civic. It is older than Evan. We have since purchased another car from another leaving family which is a 2002 Mazda and is fabulous compared to this piece of crap. We'll get it at the end of the month. We intend to sell or give away (really) the crap car on base to a young Air Force guy who likes to take things apart because it's the only thing it's good for.

4. I load everything into the Pilot. I then have to back out of the tight parking area we have into rush hour traffic. It's like my sister Katie's driveway situation only like 1000 times worse. Owen is still a crab. I manage to get on the road with a quick driving manoever which actually impresses Owen so his mood brightens but he is sitting in the front seat which means all he wants to do is distract me by pushing EVERY button known to boykind for like the entire trip.

5. We finally get to the entrance of the school and as I am driving down the windy, crowded area where everyone thinks the road is their own personal parking space, I clip another car's side mirror because Evan is calling me on my cell phone to let me know he's arrived at school, Owen is touching EVERY button known to boykind and my wide American car just isn't made for this. I couldn't stop, their mirror was fine (I hope) and I could see that it didn't fall off. It was actually another Honda, a CRV I think, but needless to say, I don't ever think I am driving the behemoth car to school anymore and if I have to, we are going through the second entrance or I am parking in the street and walking in. Mainly because I don't want that owner to ever find me and I am very easy to find because there are no other Honda Pilots in England - none!

6. We luckily see Finn. Owen dashes off across the parking lot without any of his gear so I am carrying all the crap to the walkway for them to retrieve.

7. Finn has to take his bike to the designated area and refuses to push it up the hill just adjacent to the steps because they are supposedly not allowed however every other child is doing it. So instead, I lift the bike up the 30 stairs as Finn carries his stuff. At the top, Finn says he is not feeling well, because of the bike ride and I think he is going to pass out but luckily he didn't. We get the bike matter sorted, all the kids have their gear, Finn is better and I leave for home.

8. I make coffee and sit down in silence to vent via this blog.

Have a wonderful day!