Monday, August 27, 2012

Dog Days of August

Lots of stuff going on this past month. I returned to my position as taxi driver during the last few weeks as Finn and Owen attended a cooking camp with an international foods theme. They made Mexican, Indian, French, Japanese and Italian foods and they were absolutely delicious. Every day they exited, they exclaimed how it was the best camp I had ever chosen for them. It helped that they both like to eat!

Owen has also been doing some tutoring to get him up to speed in the math department. Three years in England and his level of attentiveness didn't necessarily benefit him. Tutoring definitely has.

Evan was accepted to a highly competitive work-study program with a nearby Federal Government agency. We were told that approximately 3,000 high school kids apply and that only 100 are given an offer. We are very proud of him. This means that I will once again be a chauffeur getting him to work. All the more reason for him to finally get his driver's license, eh?

Since Evan is doing a half-day of high school and a half-day of work study, he did not have room in his schedule for a math class as he is still short a social studies credit (US History) because he did not take it in the UK since I do not believe it is even offered. Therefore, an option was presented to us by his brilliant high school counselor. She suggested he try to enroll in a college level calculus course at the community college which is located directly across the street from the high school conveniently enough. So last week, I took Evan over for a half-day speed enrollment which included an application, a math placement test to determine if he was ready for calculus (which he aced), a meeting with an adviser, a signature from the high school counselor, registration and payment. The best part is that since he is still in high school, the course fee was half price which sort of offsets the high-priced textbook I just ordered online.

Oh, and today is the first day of school.
 The Senior and Freshman
 The Senior
 The Freshman
 The Clan
The Seventh Grader who looks the most relaxed of all, even with a rain splattered shirt (at least I hope that is rain!)

No comments: