I just finished reading the first book of The Hunger Games. I bought the trilogy for Finn almost a year ago and he litruhlee devoured them (pun intended). As he was reading them, we talked about them so I knew basically what they were about. I think I was scared to start them because they are pretty gory.
So it took me all of maybe five hours partially interrupted to finish the first one. I was hooked and really couldn't put it down but I am not sure I actually liked it. My friend, Laura, described them as " disturbing" and I would totally agree with that description. In addition, here are my thoughts.
Suzanne Collins is a great young adult fiction writer. Her series, The Underland Chronicles, is fantastic. This book however, seemed to be written while Ms Collins was sat in front of the telly watching a season of Survivor except she added real violence and the fact that it was kids just made it worse. I did like the post-apocalyptic setting and the imagination it took to create their world and how she wove in details about each area of the country to create districts. But seriously, I just couldn't get over the fact that the Hunger Games would never exist and/or people would watch them year after year. When we all start tuning into reality TV shows called something like "Survivor to the Death", I think that's my hint to exit this big blue marble.
I started reading the trilogy because a movie adaptation is in the works. Jennifer Lawrence has been cast as Katniss and I can totally see her in this role. If anyone has seen Winter's Bone (excellent movie), you will agree 100%. I just don't know now if I would go to see the film. What do you all think?
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I read the first book almost as fast as you did...it took me about 2 days, 3 hours each day...I was so wrapped up in the world and the story that I had to force myself to realize how violent and crazy the plot was. I loved the first book and I am almost finished with the second book. I can see where it's going, and like you said, I love the dystopian word that Collins created. The violence is a lot to digest. The movie should be interesting, and hopefully rated PG-13.
Post a Comment