Thursday, July 14, 2011

First Impressions

People smile. They smile A LOT. AND they look at you whilst smiling and/or saying hello - to a stranger.
People say "excuse me" all the time and realize they are blocking your way.
Whilst shopping, people stay to the right in an orderly fashion. It's really awesome.
Shopping carts (trolleys) don't drive themselves sideways, but they squeak more.
Cars stop for you to cross the road.
I had proper biscuits and butter and no one thought I meant "cookies".
Sweet tea is everything I remembered it to be and tasted really great in 95 F weather.
Leftovers can be taken home in a box.
Waiters automatically bring the bill.
Seinfeld.
Very wide roads and fabulous parking spaces.
Shorts, flip flops and ball caps are worn in the appropriate weather.
Sushi is amazing, especially an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet. O.M.G.
It's great to see people we know.

People are loud.
There is too much food served on a plate. We are all busting a gut.
Jet lag sucks. We are all up at 6, 6:30AM and exhausted by 7PM.
It's really hot. We are trying to get acclimated but it is hard work and probably adds to the exhaustion.
I have no idea what or who they are talking about on the radio. News is really news to me.
People wander in parking lots just like in the UK. I guess aimless wandering is a human trait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss sushi, and smiling at strangers without them thinking you are super creepy, and aimless wandering . :)

Erin said...

In the last year I have not been able to cure myself of my English-ness as far as not looking at people. I think I got so traumatized in England that it has stuck. :-( Getting better as smiling, though! :-) When I first watched the Today Show when we got back I was like, Are you kidding me? THIS is the news? I missed the BBC. Welcome home.