Something we've noticed while traveling is the difference among cultures regarding their storage of dairy items.
America
Eggs and milk are highly pasteurized and are refrigerated in the supermarkets. Eggs are pre-packaged in cardboard or styrofoam cartons.
Britain
Milk is pasteurized and refrigerated in the shops and costs about the same as in the US. The containers are smaller than a gallon and there is skim, whole, etc. but it's a different term. I will look at that. (Note: The terms are "skimmed", "semi-skimmed" and "whole".) I am not sure about the pasteurization process of eggs here, but their shells are not as thick and the eggs crack easier for sure. They are pre-packaged in either cardboard cartons like in the US or flimsier see-through plastic cartons, but they are not refrigerated.
France
Milk is super duper pasteurized and it is not refrigerated. It comes in white plastic bottles with screw tops resembling large smooth Gatorade containers. You can buy it in a six pack. It is really inexpensive (60 Euro cents which is less than $1) and very creamy. There are no skim, 1%, 2% distinctions as far as we noticed but the milk is not as "whole" as whole milk like in the US. We think milk is government subsidized in France. Eggs are like British eggs, but are in one very large carton and you get to choose your eggs and place them into smaller cardboard cartons, no plastic ones here.
Germany
We did not go into a supermarket during our trip so I don't know their system, but I will get back to you on this one.
America
Eggs and milk are highly pasteurized and are refrigerated in the supermarkets. Eggs are pre-packaged in cardboard or styrofoam cartons.
Britain
Milk is pasteurized and refrigerated in the shops and costs about the same as in the US. The containers are smaller than a gallon and there is skim, whole, etc. but it's a different term. I will look at that. (Note: The terms are "skimmed", "semi-skimmed" and "whole".) I am not sure about the pasteurization process of eggs here, but their shells are not as thick and the eggs crack easier for sure. They are pre-packaged in either cardboard cartons like in the US or flimsier see-through plastic cartons, but they are not refrigerated.
France
Milk is super duper pasteurized and it is not refrigerated. It comes in white plastic bottles with screw tops resembling large smooth Gatorade containers. You can buy it in a six pack. It is really inexpensive (60 Euro cents which is less than $1) and very creamy. There are no skim, 1%, 2% distinctions as far as we noticed but the milk is not as "whole" as whole milk like in the US. We think milk is government subsidized in France. Eggs are like British eggs, but are in one very large carton and you get to choose your eggs and place them into smaller cardboard cartons, no plastic ones here.
Germany
We did not go into a supermarket during our trip so I don't know their system, but I will get back to you on this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment